Monday, July 20, 2009

Well, I sure messed THAT up

I was cooking for my mum along with about 8 of her friends. I made some pasta dish, can’t remember what, but I decided I was going to experiment with the cool new bottle of lime oil I had just purchased from the local too-cool-for-you hipster culinary boutique. I was, of course, unaware that one only needs to use about 10 micrograms of lime oil in order for it to be effective. I used a couple of good glugs, drizzling it on just before serving. 

As the bowl of pasta was making its way around the table, one of the guests commented “Yum, I smell zest.” Indeed it did smell very much like a lime. I thought this was a good sign. It was not. I tasted it and it tasted like…well…have you ever eaten a lime peel by itself? It tasted just like that. Pretty disgusting. 

After we all had taken a few bites, a strange silence sort of descended on the table. Nervous glances were exchanged. Everyone obviously was experiencing unpleasant sensations in their mouths, but they were still eating because they were all unfailingly polite people. 

I immediately fessed up and told everyone that it was OK, I knew it tasted awful and I would not be offended if no one ate it. Everyone was pretty relieved. We ordered some pizzas and had a good laugh, but I still felt like a giant buffoon.

Lessons learned: 1) Lime oil is insanely powerful stuff. 2) Don’t experiment with your fancy hipster ingredients if you don’t know you’re doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment