Thursday, July 16, 2009

Food experiments gone right

Occasionally, you come up with something that would probably be better off not existing. Today was just such an event for me and my partner. That was the deep fried hot dog. Yes, I know, people have done this before; however, I’ve never seen the whole thing battered and fried, just the sausage itself. 

Crunchy, well held together. Condiments featured ketchup(yes, yes, I know, but it’s already an abomination so what does it matter), mustard, spicy mayo, relish, sauerkraut, and a pickle with the seeds and endocarp(?) scooped out to hold things down. The batter was a generic one, though I used sesame oil in lieu of ’salad oil’(not having any on hand, and not wanting to substitute more peanut oil in). We made two. They were both disturbingly tasty, though they cooked a whole lot faster than either of us was prepared for. Oil was too hot, I suppose.

Anyway, there was plenty of batter left so we used it to do onion rings, fried cheese, and later sweetened it to make a crude fried cake. I think I’m done with fried food for a while

No comments:

Post a Comment